Justia Lawyer Rating
American Board of Trial Advocates
The State Bar of California
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Los Angeles County Bar Association
AV Preeminent
Super Lawyers


  1. How Will a Criminal Record Affect My Life?
  2. How the Justice Firm Can Help?
  3. Setting Aside a Conviction/Expungement of Records
  4. If Asked on a Job Application Whether I Have a Criminal Record, How Do I Answer?
  5. What Information Does a Criminal Record Contain?
  6. Who Has Access to My Criminal Record?

How Will a Criminal Record Affect My Life?

Having a criminal record can affect many aspects of your life, including a current career or future employment opportunities. Obviously, the criminal offense you are convicted of will make a difference in how severely your life is affected. Employers have a right to refuse an individual with a criminal record employment.

Back to Top

How the Justice Firm Can Help?

As trusted criminal defense attorneys, we understand that no one wants a criminal record; however, we also know that it does not necessarily mean your life and future is ruined. If you have been arrested or charged with a crime, the ultimate goal is to have the charge dismissed. When this is not possible, it may be beneficial to negotiate a plea with prosecutors so that you essentially plead guilty to a lesser offense. Of course if you are innocent of the charges, you will likely want to go to trial to prove your innocence. We will fight vigorously to secure a "not guilty" verdict. In certain situations a conviction may be set aside, which essentially means the public will not be able to access the records.

Back to Top

Setting Aside a Conviction/Expungement of Records

In California, having a criminal record expunged prevents a prospective employer from inquiring about it during an interview, or using it as a reason not to hire you. Once a criminal record is expunged, or set aside, an individual is released from "all penalties and disabilities" arising out of the conviction under California Penal Code 1203.4 PC. Essentially, by having your criminal record expunged you will be able to tell employers you have a clean criminal record. A fresh start is beneficial for those who wish to secure or maintain a professional license or join certain professional organizations. There are certain factors which determine whether you may be entitled to have your criminal record expunged. We recommend that you contact us today to learn more about whether you may be eligible.

Back to Top

If Asked on a Job Application Whether I Have a Criminal Record, How Do I Answer?

If your criminal record is public, you must answer truthfully on applications which inquire about your past. Many schools, lenders, property owners, lenders, and employers have the legal right to ask. However, your answers only have to apply to the specific question. For instance, if asked on an application whether you have been convicted of a felony, you may answer "no" if you were convicted of a misdemeanor offense.

Back to Top

What Information Does a Criminal Record Contain?

Personal and identifying information is typically available in a criminal record. This information may include your name, resident address, age, any aliases you may have used, your physical description, photographs (mug shots), fingerprint records, and data regarding any misdemeanor or felony arrests and/or convictions.

Back to Top

Who Has Access to My Criminal Record?

Anyone, including neighbors or others in your community, can access your criminal record unless it has been expunged or your conviction set aside. This includes potential employers, landlords, schools, lenders, property owners - anyone in the public.

Back to Top

Contact the Justice Firm Today

Many people who have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony offense believe they have reached the 'end of the road,' that there is nothing more that can be done. The fact is, many who are convicted desire to appeal a conviction or sentence; depending on the fact of your case it may also be possible to have your conviction set aside (record expunged). For more information regarding whether you may have options that will help you put the past behind you, contact The Justice Firm today at 310-914-2444.

Client Reviews
I moved to another state and missed court. They issued a warrant. I called the Justice Firm and spoke to Joe Virgilio and he was very helpful. The they were able to get the warrant removed and fixed it so I got probation and could go back to work. Neal R.
My mom called the Justice Firm. I had a public defender who was pushing me to take a bad deal. My new attorney Mr Browning was able to get my case dismissed. They also gave me a number for a bondsman who gave a great price so I could get out and get back to work. Carlos G.
My son had the lawyers at the Justice Firm represent him. They were really good. Mr. Hunt always calls me back to answer my questions and let me know what is going on. We have referred several people to them over he last few years and they all thank me for it. They work with the district attorneys to get good results. Rick Q.