Helping Ukrainian Citizens And Their Families To Come To The US

Since Vladimir Putin announced the Russian invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022, many countries worldwide have shown their support for Ukraine. President Biden has been vocal about the United States’ commitment to helping Ukrainian refugees. On April 21, 2022, he announced Uniting for Ukraine, a program that provides temporary support for Ukrainian citizens and their immediate family members hoping to flee the Russian invasion. If you would like to help Ukrainian citizens come to the United States, a general understanding of the processes can help you decide if the program is right for you.

Who Can Support Ukrainians And Their Families?

If you decide you would like to apply to become a supporter of a Ukrainian citizen or family, you must fill out and submit an I-134 Form. Uniting for Ukraine requires supporters to have the financial ability to provide aid to Ukrainians, so the Form will require you to provide proof that you have the necessary financial resources. Proof of financial ability will require you to show that you can support the person or family for up to two years. Having “financial ability” does not mean you need extraordinary resources and unlimited money. It does mean that you should consider whether you can ensure the following needs are met for the individual or family:

  • Receive the individual or family when they arrive;
  • Transport them to their initial housing and provide for initial basic needs;
  • Appropriate housing and healthcare needs are available for the duration of the stay;
  • Assist with social security card (if applicable) and employment authorization; and
  • Finding English language or other education courses; enrolling children in school; finding employment; assisting with other program eligibility.

You and other supporters must be located in the United States and also be at least one of the following:

  • United States citizens or nationals;
  • Lawful permanent or temporary residents;
  • Conditional permanent residents;
  • Nonimmigrants in lawful status;
  • Refugees, Asylees, or Parolees;
  • Beneficiaries of deferred action or Deferred Enforced Departure; and
  • Temporary Protected Status holders.

If you would like to help Ukrainians and are unsure of your status or whether you could financially qualify, please contact The Justice Firm locally at (310) 914-2444 or Toll-Free at (866) 695-6714, or visit us on our website. Our immigration attorneys serve clients in Los Angeles, Riverside, Orange, Ventura, and San Bernadino counties.

Who Can Come To The United States?

Uniting for Ukraine has several eligibility requirements for Ukrainians interested in coming to the United States. Ukrainian citizens qualify if they:

  • Possess a valid Ukrainian passport;
  • Currently live outside the United States;
  • Lived in Ukraine immediately before the invasion;
  • Were forced out of their homes or otherwise displaced because of the invasion;
  • Have a supporter in the United States who has filed an I-134-Form; and
  • Pass a security check.

Immediate family members can also qualify, even if the family members are not Ukrainian. Eligibility for immediate family members can be a:

  • Spouse or common-law partner of the eligible Ukrainian citizen; or
  • Children who are unmarried and under age 21.

Spouses or common-law partners are also required to have valid passports.

Immigration Attorneys In California

When you are ready to learn more about Uniting for Ukraine or other programs that serve immigrants, please call The Justice Firm locally at (310) 914-2444 or Toll-Free at (866) 695-6714. With offices located in Norwalk, Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, and Woodland Hills, California, we are ideally situated to serve you where it is convenient for you. Our immigration attorneys serve clients in Los Angeles, Riverside, Orange, Ventura, and San Bernadino counties.

Learn more about immigration and applying for legal residency in the United States.

Contact Information