Criminal Defense Lawyers Representing Clients in Orange, Los Angeles, Ventura, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties in California Accused of Money Laundering
Over the past two decades, money laundering has become far more common, with more than 1,000 people convicted each year. At The Justice Firm, our Los Angeles money laundering defense attorneys have to experience, skill, and aggressive approach necessary to help those charged with this serious crime avoid a conviction and harsh criminal penalties.
In order to secure the best possible outcome, it is essential to secure the legal guidance and support of a capable criminal defense lawyer, one with extensive experience who is competent both in and out of the courtroom. If you or someone you know has been charged with money laundering or is under investigation, we urge you to contact us now.Money Laundering in Los Angeles
What exactly is money laundering? Basically, this is a crime which involves taking "dirty" money and making it "clean," just as the name implies. A "wobbler" offense in California, money laundering may be charged as a misdemeanor or felony offense, depending on the fact of your case and how the prosecutor chooses to charge it. Attempting to hide profits gained from illegal activities related to gambling, trafficking drugs, arms smuggling, and other unlawful activities constitutes money laundering. The methods often used to "launder" money include:
- Physically transferring money to outside of the U.S. without declaring those funds
- Concealment of financial data via offshore financial centers
- Cleaning money which is obtained through illegal activity through the purchase of money orders or cashier's checks
- Disguising the source of funds or ownership through "shell" corporations
Creative accounting and tax evasion are often involved in money laundering schemes, and while the transactions are often highly complex, the government is vigilant in its efforts to pursue and prosecute offenders.Aggressive Criminal Defense for Individuals Accusing of Money Laundering in LA
The criminal penalties for money laundering in Los Angeles are severe, and depend on the amount of money involved, criminal history, and whether you are charged with a misdemeanor or felony offense. A misdemeanor conviction will leave you facing a maximum of one year in jail, along with substantial fines; a felony conviction may result in up to 20 years in prison, up to $500,000 in fines, or both.
As with all criminal offenses, the burden of proof lies with the prosecutor who must prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Some of the defense tactics our Los Angeles money laundering attorneys may use depending on the facts of your case include:
- Police misconduct
- You had no knowledge that money was derived from illegal sources, or did not have the intent to launder money
- A minimum amount of money derived from illegal sources was not involved in the financial transaction. In order to violate California's money laundering law, you must have participated in one or more transactions with a total value of more than $25,000 in a 30-day period, or more than $5,000 in a seven day period.
In order to achieve the best possible outcome, it is vital you have a talented criminal defense lawyer who is dedicated to giving your case the individual attention you deserve. At The Justice Firm, we believe in a personal approach, and provide our clients with unparalleled legal guidance and representation. Contact us now at (310)914-2444.